Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Installations

One part of the project for You Are Beautiful is making our own message that can be turned into stickers or posters. The message that I choose was Life Goes On and I decided to make a sticker out of that message. One thing that I liked was how certain combinations with colors came out. I learned that making stickers are easy, I thought it would be hard but its not.



KS. Life Goes On. 2013



KS
Life Goes On
1 1/3in by 4in
Lino cut, ink, stickers, roller
November 2013

Written messages are important to public art because some can relate to what you or someone you know are going through in life.

Public Art Can engage people by asking them questions or start a conversation. For example, Candy Chang is an artist that engages people in most of her artwork. One of her art pieces was an installation that include the message, Before I Die. The purpose of the piece was to invite people to write what they would want to de before they die. She made it possible for people to reproduce the installation around the world by making directions on how to make it.

The purpose of my message Life Goes On is for people to remind themselves every time they look at the sticker that no matter what happens or doesn't happen life goes on, there is no stopping time so enjoy every last bit of it. I wanted to make people realize that.

The first thing I did was brainstorm ideas then draft them to see how they look. After I decided which message I wanted and how I wanted it I added a symbol to go with it (Heart beat).
Then, I went to a gallery of street art projects that inspired me to change my original font.
Later, I made my message into a block font so that people can read it better.
After, I traced my message on to a lino cut block and cut all the white space.
Finally, I started printing my message onto paper then onto the stickers with different colors.







The second part of the project was to choose a letter from the phrase You Are Beautiful and decorated as you wanted. We were given cabinet doors to do our letter. I choose the letter A, I choose like a cursive font but its not that cursive. What I decided to do was use the door as the letter instead of cutting out the letter and use that. I didn't use that many things to decorate my letter I only use three things, two neckleses, and a handle. I learned that cutting something out of wood isn't easy its scary and dangerous. One thing that I'm proud of is that I was the only one that use the door.



KS. Letter A. 2013




KS
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL
Cabinet door, jigsaw, handle, jewelry
December 2013


The ideas and the purpose of the YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL installation is to build a bus shelter (that perhaps the homeless can use) with the phrase written all over it.


The aesthetics enhance the message by making it unique. The way that was done was that everyone choose a letter that they wanted to work on made and decorated the letter they way they wanted. For that reason every letter looks different  and its unique.


When I first got my cabinet door I choose a font and started sketching the letter onto it.
Later I cut my letter out with the jigsaw.
After I decorated the letter.





No comments:

Post a Comment