Pages

Monday, September 26, 2016

Matagalpa, Nicaragua!


Over the summer I went to Matagalpa Nicaragua with a program called Global Glimpse. I went for 18 days and in that time period we were low tech, meaning no phones, tablets, ipods or anything that gets wifi. The goal of this trip was to learn more about the community, people and lifestyle through experiencing it. We stayed at a Hostal called Hostal Del Rey and I shared a room with 7 other girls on bunk beds. Also there were no hot showers so it was hard to get use to it. The first night when we arrived we stayed in Managua in a hotel because there was a big parade for the Independence day, so it would have been difficult to get through it and get to Matagalpa. I attended many seminars to know more about the history, politics and people lifestyles. On the third day of being there we taught english tutoring in the evening for all ages. We were put into groups and we chose a groups of students to work with. I chose adult beginners because I know Spanish so if they didn't understand something I could translate for them to understand.

There were 2 free days where we could explore the city and buy things. There was also 2 fun days were we were taken to places that were fun and have a learning experience. In the last week we worked on a Community Action Project in a low income neighborhood. We partnered up with Infancia Sin Fronteras, working on an education center that they had there. We worked on a mural outside to make it more welcoming, an inside door for more security, a wall to divide the school and the clinic and we made a ceiling so it won't get to hot for the students. When we finished people in the community were happy with the results and so was the organization. This learning experience was really an eye opener and made me appreciate everything I have and the people I have. A nice thing to is that I am still in touch with some of my students and I talk to them in english so they can practice it even if they don't take classes anymore.

For this trip I got 50 community service hours.

KIS. Team Matagalpa. 2016. 

No comments:

Post a Comment