Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

My Carbon Foot Print


For our last project in the course "Fuel" we calculated how much carbon we release into the atmosphere. The way we did this was we use a website. In the way I live I release 20.7 carbon into the air. Carbon is produce lots of ways, so I had to find three actions that I can do to reduce my carbon. I was surprise in how much carbon I release, although its not that much I can reduce it. I am proud of the pictures that I put to help see what I am talking about.


KIS. Three Actions. 2014


For our last project in the course "Fuel" we calculated how much carbon we release into the atmosphere. The way we did this was we use a website. In the way I live I release 20.7 carbon into the air. Carbon is produce lots of ways, so I had to find three actions that I can do to reduce my carbon. I was surprise in how much carbon I release, although its not that much I can reduce it. I am proud of the pictures that I put to help see what I am talking about.

Air pollution occurs when the air contains gases, dust, fumes or odors in harmful amounts (“What is Air Pollution?”). More than 350 ppm could be harmful to the health or comfort of humans and animals or could cause damage to plants and materials. Substances that cause air pollution are called pollutants. Pollutants that directly pollute the air and do not need to combine with additional substances to cause harm are called primary pollutants. Primary pollutant examples include carbon monoxide from car exhausts and sulfur dioxide from the combustion of coal. Further pollution can arise if primary pollutants in the atmosphere undergo chemical reactions. The resulting compounds are called secondary pollutants. Photochemical smog is an example of a secondary pollutant.

I contribute to pollution by the way I live. I release 20.7 tons of carbon into the atmosphere each day (“Footprint Calculator”). My carbon output (20.7 tons) equals the greenhouse gas emissions from 3.9 passenger vehicles. Also, my carbon equals the carbon dioxide emissions given off from 43.7 barrels of oil consumed. For me to offset the carbon that I produce, I will have to plant 482 trees (“Clean Energy: Calculator”). I calculated this number by dividing 18.8 metric tons by 0.039 metric tons, because 0.039 metric tons is how much carbon dioxide each tree will remove from the atmosphere. My calculation comes out to be 482 trees.


Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator.” Clean Energy. N.p. Screenshot. 24 Feb. 2014.


Actions that I can take to reduce the carbon I produce are:

  • Purchase products that use less packaging or are made out of 100% post-consumer recycled content material. When waste decays or is burned, it produces large amounts of carbon. Producing less waste will reduce the amount of trash and plastic floating around that could otherwise take a long time to dissolve. By taking this action, I will reduce my carbon from 20.7 to 19 tons = 1.7 tons.


Footprint Calculator”. Global Footprint Network. N.p. Screenshot. 24 Feb 2014.


  • Use public transportation one day more each week instead of driving in car. I personally prefer to drive around in a car, but I also know that burning fuel produces carbon dioxide. Therefore, I will make the effort to take public transportation. Taking this action will reduce my carbon output from 20.7 to 20.3 tons, or 0.4 tons.



Footprint Calculator”. Global Footprint Network. N.p. Screenshot. 24 Feb 2014.

  • Try to convince my parents to get solar panels for my house, which will provide renewable energy. In order to produce electricity, industries burn fossil fuels, which releases large amounts of pollution. If this action become a reality, then my carbon will decrease from 20.7 tons to 19 tons = 1.7 tons.



Footprint Calculator”. Global Footprint Network. N.p. Screenshot. 24 Feb 2014.

Compared my original carbon output, I will have to plant 89 trees less! My actions above will help reduce carbon. I give off 20.7 tons of carbon everyday, but by taking action I will reduce it to 16.9 tons. Instead of having to plant 482 trees, I will have to plant 393 trees. These actions are important for me to achieve because our atmosphere has 400 ppm of carbon right now. We passed our safe zone of carbon (350 ppm). If carbon usage increases, there won't be a future for me or any other generations.




Citations:
Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator”. Clean Energy. N.p. Web. 18 Feb. 2014.
Footprint Calculator”. Global Footprint Network. N.p. Web. 18 Feb. 2014.
What Is Air Pollution?” Air Quality For Kids. N.p. Web. 18 Feb. 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment