Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The People's Music School

For most all my life I have gone to a music program that is free. This organization is called The Peoples Music School. People are able to enter this school at age 5 and haves to leave at age 18. This program runs during the school year; it starts two weeks after students start school in september and finishes about a month before school finishes. In this school you get the opportunity to learn about music and learn how to play an instrument. The first instrument that I learned how to play was the piano and I have played it for a long time. About a year ago or so I changed instruments, switching from piano to harp and now I am playing the harp. A mandatory thing in this school is theory (which is learning about music), currently I am in theory H. Theory starts from basic to more complex and there is only theory up to K. Another mandatory thing that we have to perform in front if an audience to show our knowledge and understanding of the instrument. There is a performance called juries, where we perform two pieces that we have been learning and perform them in front of our teacher and a couple other teachers. The purpose of this is to get evaluated from teachers that don't spend time with you and can see how you have grown. Other performances that we do is Performathon, the Spring concert and the Winter concert. In these concerts we perform in front of the whole school including parents and family. I have a fun experience learning and playing my instrument.

Erard Freres Harp. 1800. Photograph. Wikimedia Commons. Web. 2014





No comments:

Post a Comment