Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Why is there traffic in Chicago?


In the third unit of the course Rhetoric we began studying how rhetoric can e used to unite people around a single cause, as the colonist began to do leading up to the Revolution in the America. Our last Action project, we chose a social issue and chose a way to represent it through an art form. I chose the issue of better roads because I am driven every where and there's always traffic because of construction going on around the city. I chose to make a screen print to make stickers, which have a construction sign in the background with words saying, “Expect Delays In Our CITY.” Doing this project was difficult for me because it’s something that I relate to, but there isn’t much information about it. Also the screenprint was something I have never done before, so it was a difficult and precise process. I learned how to screenprint and I enjoyed making art.

KIS. Sticker. 2015




Better Roads
KIS
Screen, Paint, labels, printer, slogan, sign
2in by 3in
October 20, 2015

I am KIS and I am bringing attention to better roads for drivers who use the highway a lot. I chose this topic because I drive a lot on the highways and on many occasions there have been traffic because of construction on an exit, which also causes detours. I don’t like that because I believe we can get to our destination quicker when the roads are fixed, smooth, and fast. Potholes and long construction jobs on the streets create traffic and pollution. This does not apply to everyone, but it does apply to people who drive everyday on the highways. Traffic creates headaches, people get impatient, frustrated and their hypertension can go way up. If the exit you have to take is closed for construction and you have to take a detour, that takes more time and makes you late.

When it comes to potholes, people have to go over them slowly and each car passes,and until it’s your turn you get frustrated and want to get out of the highway and go to the street. But it’s the same maybe even worse because the potholes are bigger or there are more. “Chicago drivers lose an average of 70 hours a year because of traffic” (Medill News). This issue doesn’t just affect individuals, but cost the city a lot of money as a whole “All the congestion on Chicago-area roads sucked up more than $6 billion in fuel in 2011” (WBEZ).

In my project I used the appeals pathos when connecting to my audience and getting them to reflect on it, if they haven't already. Logos when giving facts about the traffic in Chicago and what causes it. My whole project is a hypophora because my title is a question and my project answers it and extends on it.

To express many people's frustrations with city’s streets, traffic and construction work, I decided to use a street artform. I made stickers that have a construction sign in the background and words that say, “Expect Delays In Our CITY.” I used screen printing to print my words on my labels. I chose to make stickers because it’s an easy and powerful way to get my message across by putting in places that are popular and where people won’t miss seeing them. I plan to put my stickers in busy places like malls and bus stops.

KIS. Sticker. 2015


Bentley, Chris. “When is Chicago-area traffic the worst?” WBEZ. Jan 9, 2015. Web. Oct 20, 2015.

Tekippe, Abe. “The Anatomy of a traffic jam.” Medill Reports Chicago. Feb 16, 2011. Web. Oct 20, 2015.



No comments:

Post a Comment